Digital Copywriter, Anne Lewis Strategies, LLC
- Working with client teams to develop and provide voice for leading Democratic office-holders and challengers;
- Writing email, website and social media copy;
Intern, Centre for Religion, Conflict and the Public Domain
- Conduct background research for grant application on religious freedom.
- Write on content for Centre blog, grant applications, and academic journals.
Managing Editor, Steampunk Magazine
January 2013 – Present
- Advanced from Contributor to Web Editor (2009) to Managing Editor (2013)
- Manage a staff of about 8 editors, producing a semi-annual, volunteer-run science fiction and history magazine.
- Increased Facebook traffic; 1500 new “likes”
- Proof and review print and online versions of publications.
- Coordinate flow of copy from submissions to publication, working with other editors.
- Monitor magazine e-mail account, with interview and press requests, inquiries, and submissions
Student Aide, Office of Student Activities and Engagement
2010 – 2013
- Wrote and edited weekly campus newsletter
- Designed, developed and deployed new website for weekly newsletter, including new submissions process
- Trained staff in use of WordPress tools
- Designed, developed and maintained department website
President, University of Mary Washignton Unitarian Universalists
Spring 2010 – Spring 2013
- Founded a campus ministry group for Unitarian Universalists, and served as president every semester with the exception of Spring 2012
- Led discussions on personal, theological, and political issues and organized events with other campus organizations.
Research Assistant, Omedia Inc.
July 2011 – January 2012
- Gathered and analyzed data for cultural history book Vintage Tomorrows by James H. Carrott.
- Created tables and graphs of thousands of data points
Web Team Intern, Human Rights Campaign
- Assisted in designing, coding, and maintaining HRC pages, including microsites
- Created and published events and press releases
- Organized and archived web content in preparation for website redesign
Intern, Standing on the Side of Love
- Maintained blog and social media presence, including Facebook and Twitter
- Edited and published blog posts and e-mail blasts
- Analyzed campaign history using Salsa’s CRM to analyze open and click-through rates of e-mail blasts, Facebook Insights, and Twitter
- Entered and analyzed data for petition campaigns for immigration and LGBT rights
- Transcribed videos and edited photos for accessibility.
- Worked with congregations around the country on social justice initiatives and activism.
Publications and Presentations
“Eight Kids and Two Book Deals: Biblical Womanhood Blog Networks, Entrepreneurship, and Gender,” Student Research and Creativity Symposium (April 26, 2013).
“Religious Coercion and Free Exercise at the Air Force Academy,” Metamorphosis Student Journal (Spring 2011)
University of Groningen
Religion and the Public Domain MA
Summa Cum Laude
University of Mary Washington
Religion and Women’s and Gender Studies double major, 3.96 GPA
University of Limerick
Study Abroad 2012
Phi Beta Kappa
Alpha Kappa Delta
Loreeda Ruth Jones Niemann Scholarship in Religion
President’s List – Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Fall 2009
Dean’s List – Fall 2011, Spring 2011, Fall 2010, Spring 2010
Barbara Alden Study Abroad Scholarship
Writing Center Contest Winner
Excellence in American Studies